Sunday, April 22, 2012

Creativity and Curiosity: My Thoughts - Special Post #12A.

curious george

1.) I believe that schools in the United States are inhibiting the curiosity and creativity of students. Schools are trying to use innovative ways of teaching but its not allowing the students to use their creativity. In a way the schools are still being led by the old school way of teaching. This is a problem.
2.) From my point of view, I'm not even sure how to stimulate a child's curiosity. My experience maxes out with my toddler who is still curious about everything. Getting a 5th grader to become curious about math or learning plant and animal cells, well I just am at a blank. There are the old tricks that simply don't work such as pretending that you, the teacher, is interested but kids are smarter now: they know better.
3.) I absolutely think that a teacher's actions can increase the curiosity of students. What are these actions? Well, honestly, answering these questions makes me feel ill prepared for running a classroom. I hope that between now and then, I find some amazing mentors. I think that the best way, is for the students to teach each other. If teachers give them access to all of the tools they need plus whatever they may come up with, teachers could stay up-to-date on what kids are using for technology. Plus, the students are now learning about technology and using it to teach their peers.
4.)I feel like a creative person already. I must admit that I would better with physical objects and mixed media but technology is slowing working its way up there. Teachers and schools could help with the creative process by searching for a new and improved way to keep everyone informed. Students often have an immediate question that simply can not wait until morning. What about assigning students to be "on call" for homework help? That would encourage students to work together and give one more way to students to learn the material.

1 comment:

  1. "Getting a 5th grader to become curious about math or learning plant and animal cells, well I just am at a blank." I hope you are willing to try and find out before you teach 5th graders! Start with Daniel Pink's books.

    "Getting a 5th grader to become curious about math or learning plant and animal cells, well I just am at a blank." you...are not you..is

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete