Sunday, February 26, 2012

Blog Post #5

iTouch


Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?
Dr. Scott Mcleod, is very insightful on his post Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?. I feel as though he had a sarcastic attitude throughout the whole post. I loved it. I still feel as though we should keep the classic pen and paper in schools but at the same time, we need to focus on technology. As our students grow older more and more technology is going to be developed and it is our job to insure that they are prepared for this. Still learning to use paper and pencils for math is essential. Developing countries do not yet have the technology that we do and it is important for our students to learn "old fashion" methods as well.

The iSchool Initiative
Travis Allen, at the time of his YouTube video, was a young high school student. First of all I have to give him credit that, even though he was just short of graduation, he believes in providing this technology and way of learning to future high school students. Secondly, I love the idea. The more and more I become involved with EDM310, the more I want to learn about new technology that is available for students. But, I secretly don't want my students to know more about technology than I do. The iTouch seems like a great and resourceful tool, however, I feel as though the iPad might be sightly more useful due to the size.
Travis Allen, suggested removing paper, pencils, copy machines and textbooks. As I stated in the previous post, I still think that we should keep those items around, well maybe dispose of the copy machine but we need to have a back up method in case a student looses their iSchool or perhaps it breaks. 

Eric Whitacre’s Virtual Choir
The virtual choir by Eric Whitacre. All I can say at this point is "wow". The idea behind this blows my mind. Now to be fair I'm sure the recording and blending of voices and sounds over the internet has been done for many years now but seeing it in this format makes it feel completely different. This presentation was so simple yet completely complex. After I learned that the students had never met, made me appreciate this even more.

Teaching in the 21st Century
I agree with Kevin Roberts views in his video, Teaching in the 21st Century. Teachers are steadily becoming less of a source for information, and more of a "filter" for information. Wikipedia is a widely used source for students to gather information. Due to the fact that anyone can post anything on it, however, makes it to where it is not allowed to be used in a works cited page. That is where we come in. Our new role is to teach the children to take the "facts" and cross reference them with other sites to determine the validity of the information.
It used to be that we were the publishers for children's minds. They entered our classroom with little knowledge to no knowledge of what we were teaching them. Somewhat of a blank slate for us to imprint what we felt was important for them to know at a certain age. Now it seems as though we are taking on more of an editorial role in their lives. Proofing the information they have obtained via technological means.

Reading Rockets
Reading Rockets has a lot of resources that can be used by parents and educators. I have to small children that will begin preschool this coming school year, so I mostly looked at the preschool section. In my search I found several ways to teach preschoolers the fundamentals of reading. This website offers games, suggestions and books specialized for your child's specific area. I would highly recommend this site to parents and teachers; I know I will use it in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is Donte Todd and I am in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class. I think your post is magnificent and very informative. I can tell you paid close attention and analyzed each video very carefully. I too, believe that educators should not completely eliminate paper and pencil from the curriculums in school. We are becoming more technologically based everyday, but if anything ever happens to computers than "paper and pencil" will be our last resort. We must prepare our students for as much as we can in the little time that we are provided. The only thing that I can really critique is your wording. Just be sure to watch how many times your using certain phrases such as "I feel...". Other than that this blog was very well thought out. Great Work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaylan,

    Good job evaluating the assignments. Please watch your sentence structure, you have quite a few run-on sentences. Your wording is fine (as critiqued by Donte), but you just need to make sure that you check your sentence structure.

    Thanks,

    Rebekah Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaylan,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post #5. You evaluated the assignments and stated your opinions well. The growing world of technology does make you wonder about the need of paper and pencil. It made me ask myself, how often do I use paper and pencil on a daily basis. It seems I use technology tools, electronic banking, IPhone, word processor, email, Facebook, and my debit card much more than I use paper and pencil. I’m still not 100% sure where I stand on that topic, however, I do not believe paper and pencil are going to obsolete any time soon. Definitely food for thought!
    Great blog work, just make sure you check over your text carefully, if you use a wrong word (“to” children instead of “two” and “ the iPad might be sightly" instead of slightly) spell check will not catch it. I made the same mistake in one of my blog post,too. :)
    Thanks
    Cassie Skidmore

    ReplyDelete