Monday, March 5, 2012

Blog Post #7

The Networked Student
I really enjoyed watching this video by Wendy Drexler. I found this project to be such a neat idea and will hopefully use this in future classes. Her video specifically speaks to the new age generation. With all of the technology and new ways of learning, you can virtually listen to professors all around the world as they lecture.
A question is suggested "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" The reason is that you can never truly take away what both students and teachers will gain from the one on one learning. Students can easily post as question online but it may take some time to receive a response. Other students may have asked questions but you still don't understand. You might even be thinking so far outside of the box that no one else has even considered it. As much as technology will simplify our lives human interaction, in my opinion, is still the simplest method.
The idea of networking with students and teachers who are clear around the world is amazing. Lets face it, not everyone can travel to another country to get a first hand look at other cultures. As a networked student, you can.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (PLE)
I recently viewed a young girl's tour of her personal learning environment (PLE), Welcome to my PLE!
My first response was, YES! This is exactly what I need and I'm sure may other students do too. Symbaloo is the perfect PLE for students and even teachers. This useful tool allows students to have access to dozens of websites, all at once, without having them all open. The plus side is that you can arrange the sites in categories or add and delete, as needed. I must admit that I googled and signed up for this PLE before I could write this post. I highly recommend this for everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your response to the question "Why does the networked student need teachers?"! There are so many things that students may need an answer to right away that only a teacher in the room can help with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teachers also have to create the environment in which learning takes place. That is a challenge a lot of teachers never think about. They just want to follow the plans of others. That often does not work!

    I can tell you are excite about the PLN. Great!

    ReplyDelete