Sunday, March 25, 2012

Blog Post #8

This is How We Dream


This is How We Dream
The two videos "This is How We Dream" by Dr. Richard Miller was very informational. It shows that books are both online and in print. Dr. Miller was able to complete a writing assignment without ever going to a library. This is not surprising to me but to those who are used to having to search for material manually in a library it may take some getting used to. He spoke about how some documents are both written and online. That things in print will eventually make its way online and how some online things are or are not in print. He continues on to say that this is "a incremental change not a fundamental change."  
It is amazing how our learning lifestyles have changed. Now days we don’t just use pencil and paper for writing. We have computers that allow us to create word documents that express what we are trying to say. Dr. Miller shows us how to make word documents into web documents and showed us how a print document can be made into a web document. 
When I think about technology, I get excited. As a future educator, I want to use technology as much as I can because I believe it is a great tool. Since technology is always changing, I will have to keep up with these changes. I am willing to do that because I believe in the benefits of technology in the classroom. I have to admit though, I sometimes feel confused, overwhelmed or stressed when working with technology because it can be challenging. After saying that, I still think it is worth all the stress and confusion. I always end up figuring it out!  



Carly's Post
Carly and Dr. Miller definitely have similar thoughts and ideas using the multi-media learning system. As for me, I agree with both of them. Carly's project idea was great and I hope that in the future we can use her idea or ourselves, in our own classrooms. 


EDM310 is Different
The Chipper Series and EDM310 for Dummies were both very inspiring. After coming up with and then rejecting several ideas, I believe that I have finally found one. In EDM310 we do many projects using technology for creative projects but they are all done using movie makers or smarts boards. Many of my fellow classmates, including myself, still like the original scissor and glue projects. For my video, I would have students record themselves demonstrating a project that could be used in classrooms following the Mobile County Public School curriculum. 


Learn to Change, Change to Learn
The video, Learn to Change, Change to Learn featured educators who focused on how schools are growing technologically and how we need to provide teachers with the permission and resources necessary to educate children in this ever-changing world we live in. They mentioned how important it is for teachers around the world to connect and share with each other. One of the main points of the video is that the world around us is developing and it is up to us to make sure our students are developing along with it. They need to be able to find answers and solve problems on their own, know how to be sure they are finding accurate information and know how to share information with the rest of the world.  


Scavenger Hunt 2.0
1. I chose to use Edmodo. This is exactly what I was hoping to find! I would best describe Edmodo as a facebook for teachers. Except your page is like a little online classroom. This could be compared to online classes that universities use. As the teacher I am able to post assignments, updates, reminders, grades, quizzes and so much more. I have to option to receive any updates from students sent directly to my phone or email. This site also allows students to ask questions or comment to me or other students. I will definitely keep this in mind (adds to symbaloo)!
4. I chose to research Animoto. This appeared to be a fun use for short videos, perhaps of a vacation. One thing that I did not care for was that you had to purchase the program and then pay monthly to use it. It does have its convenience. You can use a iPhone app or instagram to link with the program. 
5. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kaylan
    Good Post. I enjoyed Dr. Miller's video also. All I can think about is the possibilities for children. I have two girls of my own and I can not describe the importance of their education. All the new educational tools we are learning about; I am showing my eight year old a few of them to use.
    I took a lot from the Learn to Change, Change to Learn video. The underlying messages and thoughts of those individuals was inspiring. I think Edmondo is a great tool for teachers to use to connect with other teachers and students. I also chose Animoto, but I enjoyed it. They do offer a free version of it, but you can only make 30 second videos; which is long enough for a preview of a lesson or a short lesson. Even a 30 second preview could interest the kids more. The prices were not that bad. They seemed reasonable. I produced a short video using some pictures of my podcast as a preview. It was so easy to use. You just place the pictures in and pick a song and the site puts it all together for you. Go check my preview out and Try it!!
    Talk to you soon :)
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaylan,

    I enjoyed reading your post. It seems like you really liked the scavenger hunt portion of this blog post assignment! Just remember that you do not always have to agree with everything presented to you!

    ReplyDelete